The American soldiers are considered amongst the fittest in the world. Ever wondered the secret to their fitness? It does not involve extensive training sessions; instead, it’s as simple as walking with a weighted pack on your back. The activity is called ‘rucking’ from the term ruck sacks, which basically is a backpack.
Instead of loading your bag with very heavy gear, all you need to do is carry any old backpack that has been lying around and fill it with a bit of weight and talk a nice long walk.
It’s simple, and it delivers a lot of health and fitness benefits:
- It Cuts Calories : For an average built guy, a 30-minute walk will burn about 125 calories. But if he throws a weighted backpack on and take that same walk then he could burn about 325 calories. That means if you take three, 30-minute walks each week and you begin wearing a weighted pack, you’ll burn 31,200 more calories over the course of a year !
- Better Gym performance : To improve your gym performance Rucking is considered the easiest method. Most people often forget to train for building their work capacity in the most fundamental manner. Rucking addresses that need. Once this is taken care of every other exercise will seem much easier.
- Builds Your Endurance : The cardio benefits of rucking are as good as gained from exercises like jogging. But compared to jogging that has an injury rate of 20 to 79 percent, rucking makes you more resilient to injuries. It also builds up your hip and postural stability, and that makes you more injury proof in all your other activities.
- It Gets You Out in The Open : Rucking gets you outside, walking in nature. That’s not only a welcome change from the gym but, it also reduces stress and may help you sleep better at night. Modern life overemphasizes the importance of connecting with nature. We stare at computers, cell phones, and TV screens all day and never let go. Rucking outside, having to read terrain and adapt helps to work the brain in a totally different way.
- It Prevents Back Pain : Rucking actually helps to hold your torso up, so your back muscles don’t have to work as hard. That, in turn, can help prevent and relieve your pain.
- It’s Easy : From now onwards, simply wear a backpack with some weight in it when you do those everyday activities. It does not involve any expensive machinery and gym memberships.